Monday, May 15, 2006

The Justinator vs. Stan, the Printer

It was hot and rather humid day when I began my walk to work. I arrived at work on time and things were going just peachy. It just so happened that I decided to be a good little student worker and do some dusting. Well, as some of you may know, computers need to be "blown out" with compressed air from time to time to make sure the accumulated dust inside doesn't cause any problems. The power supply on these printers (these particular printers have a computer that runs the Xerox software) were quite dusty. Only problem is I can't take the cover off.....well I can, but it would nullify the warranty. That being the case, I just started "blowing" dust off of all three of the printers' surfaces (there are no dusting cloths). As I have done so many times and had been instructed to do so, I started dusting the back of the first printer, Cartmen. Things were going marvelously. Then, I started dusting Stan..........*BOOM!!* *sizzle sizzle* a nice puff of smoke and the stench of burning electronics right in my face! I must've jumped 10 feet in surprise.

Before


After


It wasn't that bad, really:) Amazingly enough, I survived with only a slightly burned finger (first I break my toe, now I burn my finger *rolls eyes*). I knew Stan didn't care too much for me, nor I him, but I never expected this much insubordination. He wound up having to get a new power supply and now he's much nicer:) Oddly enough, I didn't get in trouble at all. My supervisor said "it won't be a problem because the university pays [a lot] to have the contract with Xerox that will replace and service anything related to the printers for free." It's a wonder I haven't been fired for being a liability;) Looks like summer is off to a great start! However, The Justinator will live to fight another day!

4 Comments:

Blogger LaceyP said...

hmm...I think you may need to stay about from the printers from now on. Or maybe even electronics period!

May 16, 2006 9:57 PM  
Blogger Gracie said...

goodness...I tell you what, ya have to watch those printers..

May 18, 2006 7:02 PM  
Blogger LaceyP said...

...you never know when they might turn on you! :)

May 18, 2006 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A kamikaze in disguise, I see. :-)

May 23, 2006 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home