Sunday, October 02, 2005

Interesting Week

Forgive me for not posting in such a long time. It has been a rather hectic week. Wednesday I had two exams: Calculus II and Engineering Chemistry. The Calculus II exam was terrible and I ended up not doing very well. The Chemistry exam wasn't that hard, it was just really long and I wasn't able to finish before the time was up.:-\ There was some good news, however. I found out that I made a 90 on my Cultural Anthropology exam!:) That's the class taught by the liberal evolutionist. What made it even better is that there was a 6 point curve, so in the end I made a 96! That's the highest I've ever made on a college exam! I was so excited! The majority of the class the ended up making C's and lower were about ready to take us folks that made A's out and lynch us.:D

Well Friday rolled around and it was time for another Fightn' Texas Aggie Yell Practice! This time I was planning to ask someone to be my "Yell Date." The funny thing was, the girl I was wanting to ask I could never get the guts to ask her in person, so I had planned to find her in the facebook and ask her through that or through e-mail. It just so happens, that as I returned from eating lunch out with some of my fellow band members after rehearsal, one of the girls I've known since the beginning of the year came up to me and asked if I would walk her to the dorm.

You see, she's in the Fightn' Texas Aggie Band, which means she is also in the corps. The band hall where the Symphonic Band (Which both of us are in) rehearses is right by the "Quad" (Where the corps lives) so she has to walk through the "Quad" to get to her dorm. The problem is that since she is a Fish (Freshman), she has to "Whip out" (Introduce herself at the top of her lungs) to the upperclassmen she hasn't met yet in the corps on the way. Even if she has already "Whipped out" to certain upperclassmen, she still has to yell "Howdy Mr./Miss so-and-so Sir/Maam!" to them.

The only way she can get out of doing that is if she walks with a non-reg, i.e. someone who is not in the corps. Therefore, she asked if I would walk her to her dorm so she wouldn't have to "whip out." On the way to her dorm, she asked if I was going to Yell Practice. I said I was and she asked if I had a date. I said I didn't. Then she asked if I would like to be her date. Well, to be sure I was quite surprised! I agreed and I was to pick her up at 10:30pm that evening.

I went to pick her up and when she came out, she introduced me to her roommate and some of her friends. After hanging out for a while waiting for it to be time for the band to "step off," it was time to go "form up" with the rest of the band (Around 11:05pm). We went to go form up and got ready to "step off." Soon, we saw the Yell Leaders and the Drum Majors light the torches and then the whistle blew for everyone to get ready to "step off." The Drum Majors blew their whistle and beat the time with their "batons." The brass started the Aggie War Hymn and when it came time to "step off" in the music (16 beats into the music), we started marching. We marched by torchlight through the campus towards the stadium while people on both sides of the street were cheering and clapping to the beat of the music. It was so awesome! We marched into the stadium and when we got onto the student side of the field, there were thousands of people there in the stands anxious to start some Fightn' Texas Aggie Yell Practice!

I stayed with my date when we got into the stands. It was cool sitting right there with the band. It was an interesting experience having a trumpet blasting to the back of my head!:D The band played some and we did several yells. Then the time came for you to "mug your date"(i.e. kiss your date, as the tradition goes) when the lights were shut off.:D Just so you know, I didn't "mug" my date. It was a lot of fun, despite that fact.:) I walked her back to her dorm, we talked for a while, then we both said our goodbye's. Before we parted ways, she said she could pull my ticket for me so I could sit with her again not only at Yell Practice but for the next home game!:) So I'm planning on doing that!

That leads me up to Saturday's football game. We were playing one of the worst teams in the nation, Baylor Univ. The sad and most frustrating thing about the game was that for quite a while Baylor was beating us. It wasn't until towards the end of the game that we were able to catch up enough to tie the game. That sent it into overtime. Baylor got the first possession and was able to get a field goal. Then it was our turn. It took a few downs, but we were able to get a touchdown, thus winning the game. First of all, even though we ended up beating them, it is truly an embarrassment to have had so much trouble with a terrible team. If we keep playing like we have been playing, I can just about guarantee we will not win another game the rest of the season, except perhaps OSU. Doesn't look like this is going to be the year Texas A&M wins the Big XII Championship.

15 Comments:

Blogger LaceyP said...

That's cool how you Aggies do things over there. Like "whipping out" and "mugging your date" and stuff like that. Interesting!

October 02, 2005 11:18 PM  
Blogger LaceyP said...

Sorry for the double post..what happens if the person doesn't "whip out" when they see an upperclassman?!

October 02, 2005 11:19 PM  
Blogger joe4444 said...

Sounds like a fun weekend.

October 03, 2005 11:58 PM  
Blogger cpuaggie said...

If they don't "whip out," the upperclassmen will immediately turn around, chase after them, and yell at them at the top of their lungs, especially if it is a Sophomore. A Sophomore's job is to make the Fish's life terrible. Juniors and Seniors are usually fairly nice. In addition to being yelled at, you probably will have to do some form of physical form of punishment and your "Fish Buddies" will have to do it with you. The only consolation a Fish has is that they will be able to take it out on the new Fish next year.:D

October 04, 2005 7:59 PM  
Blogger LaceyP said...

There's always something to look forward to I guess...I would, first of all, feel really stupid having to announce myself to someone, but I would feel even more stupid if I had to be chased by a person and probably still have to announce myself to them. Physical punishment?! Oh my...that's kinda scary!

October 05, 2005 12:39 AM  
Blogger cpuaggie said...

When I say physical punishment, I mean like push-ups, sit-ups, T-Bones, climbing the wall, spiders, running the Quad, running the stairs, or the dreaded Wallies.

October 05, 2005 1:39 AM  
Blogger LaceyP said...

I'm sorry for asking so many questions...but I don't know what T-bones or...dun dun dun..."the dreaded wallies" are. Could I bother you one more time and get to tell me what these things are...and then I promise (I think...) that I won't bother you anymore! :) LoL...more than likely I'll be back bothering you again! ha!

October 05, 2005 9:47 PM  
Blogger cpuaggie said...

T-Bones are where you sit on the floor, put your hands on the floor slightly behind you, lift yourself up with your arms straight, then open your legs wide and tap your heels to the floor, then bring your legs together and tap your heels to the floor. You end up bouncing your heels on the floor while opening and closing your legs. This is sometimes accompanied with some sort of chant not unlike the "I don't know what I've been told"-type chant when running.

The dreaded "Wallies" are probably one of the more grueling physical activities. What you do is lean against a wall and while keeping your back flat against the wall, you bend and position your knees so that your shins are exactly perpendicular to your thighs (i.e. in a sitting position with your back flat against the wall). Then you extend your arms straight out. That alone is hard enough for a prolonged period of time. What makes it worse is when the upperclassmen decided to start stacking things on you arms and you still have to keep your arms straight out. I recall an instance someone told me about that happened with a rather large guy. He didn't seem to suffer that much with just having books stacked on his arms, so they took his metal foot locker still containing all his stuff and put that on his arms. Sounds like fun, eh?:D

October 05, 2005 10:10 PM  
Blogger polemic turtle said...

I'd start packing heat. How utterly ridiculous a tradition! You'd think they'd have something useful like Bible verse quoting or something. :-\ Aggies..... :-P

Are you planning on marrying this girl, Justin? Otherwise, how can you consider yourself moral and waste her time like this? :D

October 06, 2005 7:24 PM  
Blogger cpuaggie said...

Tyler, go build a server or something....:P

October 06, 2005 8:27 PM  
Blogger LaceyP said...

thank you, thank you...oh cpuaggie! Thank you for your patience as I asked so many questions...you've been most helpful! Now if I ever get into a discussion about aggie traditions I'll know just what to talk about! :)

October 06, 2005 11:13 PM  
Blogger cpuaggie said...

Oh, by the way Tyler. She was the one who asked me.

Your certainly welcome, Lace. It's the least I could do.:)

October 06, 2005 11:32 PM  
Blogger joe4444 said...

I cant believe Tyler would say something so mean.... Stop getting on everybody's case about not being the way you want them to be Tyler. Talking like that is just going to drive people away from a Christian lifestyle. (Not to come down hard on Tyler, I still respect him and have Christian love for him, I just wish he would act more appropriate sometimes).

I am glad that girl was with a good moral P.B. like Justin, who would not treat her like most people in the world do today. Whether your actually dating, courting, or just friends with that girl, I hope everything goes well for yall Justin. And I know she is in good care. ;)

October 12, 2005 10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baylor one of the worst teams in the nation? If it weren't for the loss to A&M, we would have the same record as UT.

October 13, 2005 4:30 PM  
Blogger cpuaggie said...

Besides A&M, Baylor hasn't played anybody good. I mean SMU, Samford, Army????? Oh my!! Let's get excited! You gotta be kidding me.

October 17, 2005 2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home