Monday, November 21, 2005

BQ Ball Details (pictures coming soon, hopefully)

The BQ Ball went pretty well this past Friday. I arrived outside the band hall where Meg and I arranged to meet. I was on time (6:50pm). She was about 15 minutes late:D. I'm not complaining at all, though. Those mean upperclassmen made them run 6 miles up until 6:00pm. She arrived around 7:05pm and looked soooo beautiful in her black and salmon dress.:) The peach rose corsage I got for her was perfect!

When we got to the Brazos Center where the ball was, we waited around a little bit then found some seats in the back where her Fish Buddies were sitting. She said it was so weird to see so many of her sophomores smiling. We took our seat and waited for them to announce how the food thing was supposed to work. I realized I was one of the few wearing a tux. Most of the non-reg guys were wearing suits. I did get a lot of compliments, though.:) Soon enough, a senior got on the mic and said, "Howdy!!" (as all Aggies do to get people's attention:D), "It's about time to start eating, so this is gonna be the order: Zips, Butts, ----heads, and Fish" (i.e. Seniors, Juniors, Sophomores, Freshmen). Of course, all the Fish started hissing....

Even though I would be considered a ---head, since Meg is a Fish, I had to wait>:( and I wasn't about to go get food for myself and leave Meg alone. Finally, it was time for the Fish to get in line. Boy, what a feast! Turkey, ham, dressing, salad, biscuits, string beans, sweet tea...mmmmmm!! Sure beats microwave dinners! I piled my plate up and finished in about 20 minutes! About that time, they introduced the live band. They started off by playing some country and throughout the night transitioned to pop and believe it or not, rap. All of those guys were white and "singing" Snoop Dog and Ludicrous. Meg and I did a lot of sitting since neither of us knew how to dance or really wanted to "dance" to that rap crap. At one point during the night we did do the Chicken Dance:D Then they played the Joe's Crab Shack song, so we danced to that. That was pretty much it. It was weird how much it felt like a high school.

Aside from that fact, both of us had a good time. She was glad to get a break because it had been Brass Push week and she was Whistle Jock on top of that. We left the ball around 11:30pm. All the Bulls had left and then a whole bunch of other people left too, so we decided to leave also. I took her back, we said our goodbyes, and I headed back to my place.

7 Comments:

Blogger LaceyP said...

And once again, I ask about the lingo...what is "Brass Push Week" and what is a "Whistle Jock"...do all schools have things like this, or is it just you Aggies?

November 21, 2005 10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I guess you had a busy evening and perhaps a few headaches from all the rap. :( And how gentlemanly of you to wait for the lady. :^) And also I was about to ask the same question that the person above mentioned.

November 22, 2005 2:19 PM  
Blogger cpuaggie said...

Brass Push Week is the week when all the Fish are trying to fulfill all the conditions to receive all of their corps brass, which is one step closer to being a Sophomore. If you're Whistle Jock, you're given a whistle and you wear something different from everyone else, depending on the outfit. Typically it's something stupid. Early, early in the morning, you run up and down the hall slamming into the walls saying something to the effect of "Good morning sir! ______ is on the menu today... Drill is at 0630," or whatever time. You repeat this over and over on each end of the hall. This goes on while his/her Fish buddies are doing push-ups in the hall. So sometimes you end up tripping over one of your buddies and flying face down onto the floor. Then your upperclassmen get upset and they have to appoint another Whistle Jock because you can't walk for 15 minutes. Sounds like fun, eh?:)

November 22, 2005 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds crazy to me...

November 23, 2005 11:32 AM  
Blogger LaceyP said...

Wow...I'm with Jesse...you Aggies are come crazy folks! :)

November 23, 2005 9:38 PM  
Blogger cpuaggie said...

You just say that because you don't understand and you've never been there;)

November 28, 2005 11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not mean that all of Texas A&M is crazy. It's just some of the traditions are kind of hard to understand.

November 29, 2005 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home